Fort Lauderdale, FL
Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious criminal offense that can have major consequences on your life. These include serving time in jail, losing your driver’s license, and paying hefty fines, to name a few.
If you have been arrested for DUI, MK Law, P.A. DUI Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale can help! We have extensive experience handling DUI cases in Florida. Depending on the facts of your case, we may be able to challenge the constitutionality of the stop of your vehicle, as well as the results of any sobriety tests that you completed. Our Florida DUI lawyers' strategies can often lead to a much better outcome for your DUI case.
What to Expect From a First Offense DUI in Florida
1. License Suspension
- Generally, your license suspension in the state of Florida will be 6 months for driving with a BAC of .08% or more. If you have refused chemical testing, you can expect a 1 year license suspension. You may apply for a "Hardship License" to allow you to drive to and from work but if granted you will still typically serve a 30 day license suspension, or 90 days if you have refused the chemical testing.
2. Criminal Penalties
- There is no mandatory minimum jail time so while you may not have to serve any, the maximum jail time for a DUI in Florida is 6 months for a standard DUI, 9 months if you had a passenger under 18 or if your BAC was over .14%, 1 year if there was an accident involving property damage or minor injuries and 5 years if there was an accident involving serious injury.
- Fines for a standard DUI can be from $500-$1,000; for BAC over .14%; if you had a passenger under the age of 18 they could be $2,000-$5,000; if you caused an accident with serious injury, they could amount to $5,000.
- You can expect to be placed on probation, generally less than 1 year, and to serve at least 50 hours of community service.
- You may have to submit to using an Ignition interlock device for 6 months or more.
- Your vehicle will typically be impounded or otherwise immobilized for 10 days which will not overlap any time spent in jail due to the DUI conviction.
3. Legal Help
- A DUI lawyer can help you understand the laws and how they will apply to your specific situation.
- A DUI lawyer will walk you through the process step-by-step and may even be able to negotiate a plea bargain.
Call us now at 954-865-6032 for a free consultation and find out how we can help you fight your DUI case with our DUI lawyer in Fort Lauderdale!